Coconut Flour Strawberry Shortcake Medallions photo
Coconut Flour Strawberry Shortcake Medallions

Servings: 27 cookies
Preparation Time: 1 hour 15 minutes

Rinse and clean 1 pound of strawberries. Remove the stems and cores, and slice thinly. In a thick bottomed pan, melt 1 tablespoon coconut oil, add the strawberries. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat until simmering. Stir regularly. Simmer at low heat reducing strawberries until they measure 1/2 cup. It will take about 50 minutes. Cool strawberry jam thoroughly before proceeding to the next step.

Sift coconut flour and pack into 1/2 cup measurement. Cut the excess off the top with a straight knife. Place into a bowl, along with remaining coconut oil, eggs, honey, vanilla and vanilla bean caviar. Whip with a hand mixer for 1-2 minutes. Allow cookie dough to rest for 5 minutes to allow coconut flour to absorb the liquids. The cookie dough will be very soft.

Place cooled strawberry jam in with the cookie dough and lightly stir. You are looking for a swirled effect in the cookies as shown in the photograph.

Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.

Drop by level tablespoons onto the cookie sheet. Moisten fingertips with coconut oil and lightly pat and tap the cookie dough into a round shape.

Bake for 10 minutes. Cookies will lose their shiny look when done, and will feel firm to the touch. If pressing lightly leaves a dent, bake 1-2 more minutes.

Recipe submitted by Starlene, Phoenix, AZ

These are really good. It's really hard not to eat the whole batch before my family gets any! Mine took a few extra minutes to cook, but I baked them on a Pampered Chef baking stone. The hardest part was waiting for the strawberries to cool so I could make the cookies.:-)
# Posted By Ruth | 6/3/12 12:23 AM
These needed way more than 10 minutes to bake. Is that time in the recipe correct?
# Posted By Ada | 6/3/12 9:10 AM
Just wanted to add a note that these are best eaten the same day they're made. The texture and flavor deteriorates quickly. Just a heads up!
# Posted By Ruth | 6/6/12 12:40 PM
I'm a little confused, instructions say sift and pack half a cup of flour. So are we sifting to break up the clumps, then packing it down? Is this step really necessary? I'd like to make them today they look great. This step just seems redundant.
# Posted By amy | 6/7/12 8:10 AM
So, I made these this morning. I just measured a level half cup of coconut flour into the bowl, no sifting... I used up the last of the cherry jam I had in the fridge to save time but cut the honey in the recipe down since I knew my jam was sweeter. I would just taste the dough as I went, I think I added only 1/4 cup honey. I also made mine a little smaller and had to bale them for 14 minutes. Anyhow, the end result was great! My 2+4 yr olds loved them! I thoroughly enjoyed them as well. I baked half the batch and rolled the rest in a log and wrapped in parchment paper to bake later today or tomorrow. I will update with the results.
Thanks for a great recipe!
# Posted By amy | 6/7/12 11:22 AM
Amy, I just packed and then sifted. It seemed odd to me, too.:-)
# Posted By Ruth | 6/7/12 11:26 AM
Hi, thanks for all the compliments on my Strawberry Shortcake Medallion Cookies.
@Ada Yes, the time for me to bake the cookies was 10 minutes. I have found in other renditions of this cookie recipe that baking another minute or two was enough. It could be that your dough was moister than mine as my flour was pretty dry and resulted in a thick but moist batter.
@Ruth I'm glad you and your family liked these cookies! They were a hit in my house, too. I did refrigerate them after a couple of hours so it's probably a good idea to keep them chilled. The coconut flour and honey does make them different than "normal" cookies.
@Amy I'm sorry for the confusion on sifting and packing the flour. That was the order I used so duplicated in the recipe. My flour had been frozen previously, so it had some pretty hard clumps in it, so this is why I sifted. Also, I usually sift from the package into a separate bowl, and then I scoop flour into the measuring cup. Since I know when sifting regular wheat flour typically it is not recommended to pack down the flour, I wanted people to know they needed to pack down the coconut flour otherwise due to the air from sifting there would not be enough flour. I have also found it is really important to use a knife to cut across the top of the measuring cup to get exactly 1/2 cup since coconut flour is so absorbent. I have found just a teaspoon too much can make the recipe too dry. Just recently I got a new order of Tropical Traditions coconut flour, I had not frozen it and there were no lumps or clumps and it was pretty moist so my recipe would surely have been written differently and I wouldn't have said to sift either. I'm glad to see your variations worked out - I do the same thing with recipes when I don't have all the ingredients. Awesome. :-)
# Posted By Starlene | 6/11/12 1:27 PM
My cookies didn't seem to bake at all even after 15 minutes. Is it even possible to get them to seem baked without any baking soda? This was a total flop for me, disappointing after taking so much time to prepare the strawberries.
# Posted By susan l | 1/28/13 2:27 PM
Susan, did you pack the coconut flour in your measuring cup? It sounds like your cookie dough was too moist. Also, were you using Tropical Traditions brand coconut flour? That is the one I used. If you still have the cookies you may be able to mix them together and add some more coconut flour and try cooking them again. Sorry they did not turn out for you!
# Posted By Starlene | 1/29/13 5:50 PM
Do you think I would be ok cooking down some frozen blackberries I picked last year... My strawberries aren't good anymore..:O(
# Posted By Jacquelyn | 7/16/13 2:47 PM