Dairy Free Chocolate Truffle Pie Recipe photo
Dairy Free Chocolate Truffle Pie Recipe

Preparation Time: 4 hours

Bring water and honey to a boil; add cocoa and salt. Stir until smooth. This 'blooms' the cocoa, bringing out the flavor.

Pour this into a blender or food processor. Add the avocado pulp, coconut oil and vanilla. Blend or process until smooth. Pour into the pie crust.

Chill in the refrigerator 4 hours or until firm. Let stand at room temperature for 10-30 minutes before serving to soften slightly.

*For a gluten free crust, use this recipe.

Recipe submitted by Rhonda, South Jordan, UT

Um...where is the gluten-free crust recipe? It looks like the link didn't come through...
Please let me know where I can find that recipe!
THANKS!
# Posted By Torrey | 7/24/12 3:31 PM
I have been thinking of trying something similar with chocolate and avocado that I saw recently. Thank you for this recipe. I would be interested to know what the gluten free crust recipe is, it seems to be missing.
# Posted By Linda S. | 7/24/12 3:32 PM
This looks delicious! I can't find the link for the GF crust recipe, though.
# Posted By Amanda | 7/24/12 4:12 PM
While we retrieve our elusive hyperlink and stick him back into his rightful place, here's the other link to the gluten free crust recipe: http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/index.cfm/2012/3/23/grain-free-honey-graham-cracker-pie-crust

Enjoy!
# Posted By Sarah:) | 7/25/12 9:29 AM
cocoa powder?
# Posted By Cassidy | 7/25/12 7:10 PM
Cassidy-
Yes, 'cocoa' here means unsweetened cocoa powder. Sorry for not being clear enough about that.
# Posted By Rhonda | 7/26/12 11:01 PM
I want to make this but I do not like avocados. Is there something else I can use instead of that?
# Posted By Cammy | 7/27/12 12:05 AM
Cammy-
You won't taste the avocado in this, especially if you use the higher amount of cocoa powder.

If you REALLY don't want to use avocado, banana sort of works- the filling doesn't set up quite as firm. Use slightly underripe ones and reduce the honey to 1/3 cup.
# Posted By Rhonda | 7/27/12 4:49 PM
WOW! I just made this recipe and I wouldn't change a thing! You're right, you can't taste the avocado at all! Thank you for sharing this recipe!
# Posted By Karen | 7/31/12 8:17 AM
Will have to try this the last one I tried I used tofu and you can't taste the tofu at all I tricked EVERYONE in my family. Avacado's are better for you so going to give it a whirl!
# Posted By Mellissa | 8/4/12 3:36 PM
This recipe is truly delicious! My family was absolutely shocked to learn it was made with avocados! I will definitely make this again and share! I wouldn't change a thing; the cocoa flavor really stands out, and there is no evidence of avocado taste. I would suggest to make sure you use smooth, stringless avocados. Amazing recipe!
# Posted By Susan | 8/6/12 1:16 AM
Made this over the weekend and it's DELICIOUS! Actually better today, after sitting in the fridge overnight. Will definitely be making again.
# Posted By Annie | 8/20/12 7:53 PM
Can this pie be frozen? I've made it before, and love it, but have some avocados to use up and the occasion I need it for is a ways off.
# Posted By N Hilton | 10/31/12 3:39 PM
Yes, you can freeze it. When it thaws, the texture is a little bit softer than the original, but not much.
# Posted By Rhonda | 10/31/12 8:07 PM
Does anyone know how to make this sugar-free for a diabetic? Hopefully using Stevia and/or erythritol?
# Posted By HSHOBX | 6/20/13 12:58 PM
I haven't tried this sugar-free, but it's my recipe and I've made it a couple dozen times; here's what I'd do:

Omit honey and add an extra 2 Tbsp. water to make up for the water that's part of the honey
Add stevia to taste. If you're using packets, start with about 6 of them. Too much often gives a bitter aftertaste. Check the flavor as you add, and write down what works so you'll know for next time!
# Posted By Rhonda | 6/20/13 10:24 PM
I made this for a family party and everyone loved it and asked for more. This is so easy and delicious. It will become one of my "favorites".
# Posted By Karen M | 7/2/13 10:15 AM
This truffle pie takes long time to baking so i think it is also tastier than other pies. I will try to make it with great love and hard work for my wife on her birthday. I love him a lot and do these kinds of things to impress. This time i will have great Pie idea!!
# Posted By robywilliam | 11/18/13 6:41 AM