Gluten Free Coconut Flour Carrot Cake with Chocolate Frosting Recipe photo
Gluten Free Coconut Flour Carrot Cake with Chocolate Frosting Recipe

Carrot Cake:

Chocolate Frosting:

For the cake:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9"x13" glass baking dish.

In a large bowl, mix the coconut flour, cinnamon, shredded coconut and grated carrots. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and gradually add the sugar, beating to add volume. Smash the ripe banana into the egg mixture and continue to beat until smooth. Add in the crushed pineapple, applesauce and coconut milk. Stir to combine.

Add the wet mixture to the bowl with the coconut flour, and stir until smooth and clumps are gone.

Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake for 45-50 minutes. Let cool completely before icing.

For the frosting:

In a standing mixer or with a hand mixer, beat butter, cocoa and sugar until lumpy and just coming together. Add sugar as needed. Slowly add vanilla and coconut milk one tablespoon at a time. Beat on high speed until light and fluffy.

The cake is very moist and should be stored in the refrigerator.

* For the freshest coconut milk make homemade coconut milk. (See video at this link.)

Recipe submitted by Taylor, St. Augustine, FL

This sounds delish. If I am not making my own coconut milk, should I use canned, full fat coconut milk, light, or So Delicious type?
# Posted By Amy | 7/30/12 10:33 AM
Any type will work, I recommend the full fat type.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 7/30/12 8:41 PM
I'd like to make this for my son's birthday cake --- he's on GAPS. Can I sub the sugar for honey? Would it be the same measurement?

Oh, and he can't have the chocolate, so I think I might make a "cream cheese" (strained yogurt) and honey frosting.

Looks great!

Thanks!
# Posted By Julie | 8/9/12 7:25 AM
I would use about 1/2 cup of honey, and cut back on the coconut milk a bit, probably going down to 2/3 cup or so.

Happy birthday to your son!
# Posted By Sarah:) | 8/9/12 11:34 AM
What about subbing some extra bananas or dates instead of thes sugar? Have any suggestions for measurements? I'd prefer all banana no dates but I dont know if I add too many bananas if itll change the consistency
# Posted By Dyani | 8/15/12 6:45 PM
I made it! I didnt sub any bananas, I just used coconut sugar instead. The cake turned out soooo moist. I was surprised, I almost feel like it could have used a tablespoon more of coconut flour, or maybe I didn't bake it long enough? either way it tasted delicious and everyone loved it :)

Oh but I did make a coconut butter for the frosting instead of regular butter, by using a food processor with coconut flakes and some coconut oil.
# Posted By Dyani | 8/19/12 12:46 AM
Should the crushed pineapple first be drained of its juice? Is this cake done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean?
# Posted By DaNette | 4/18/14 5:25 PM

Benefect Botanical Hand Ssanitizer
Benefect Botanical
Hand Sanitizer
until Sunday August 31st
Dog Food
Pastured Organic Raw Chicken Steaks for Dogs
3 packages (18 pounds total)
Pastured Organic
Raw Chicken Steaks for Dogs
until Sunday August 31st
Cat Food
Pastured Organic Raw Chicken Steaks for Cats
3 packages (3.6 pounds total)
Pastured Organic