Coconut Cashew Cookies Recipe photo
Coconut Cashew Cookies Recipe

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the cashews and coconut in a food processor and pulse until a coarse sand texture is created.

Add the sweetener, vanilla beans, salt and soda and pulse until combined.

Add in the oil and coconut milk and pulse again to form a dough.

Using a cookie scoop or spoon, place balls of dough on a parchment cookie sheet and press down slightly on each dough ball. They will spread more in the oven.

Place an additional cookie sheet under the other sheet to prevent the bottoms of the cookies from browning too much.

Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes, until slightly brown.

Remove from the oven and let the cookies sit on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes to set then place them on a cooling rack to get crisp.

Store in an airtight container.

* For the freshest coconut milk make homemade coconut milk. (See video at this link.)

Recipe submitted by Kate, Highlands Ranch, CO

Holy cow, this cookie is good. First of all, the recipe totally works. I followed it to a T and had no problems. Second, when they're baked and cooled, they are SOFT and freaking delicious. I added mini-chocolate chips to mine (not a lot, but a few), and it tasted like a coco-nutty chocolate chip cookie. NO EGGS? NO MILK? And this cookie is STILL amazing. It's been years since I've had this (as I can't have milk/eggs). Simply amazing!
# Posted By PBrown | 3/15/13 9:14 PM
I tried making these cookies today and the ingredients are not cheap. So I was disappointed when the dough did not form as the recipe suggested. The combined ingredients still looked somewhat like a wet sand. I decided to bake one cookie to see what would happen and the cookie fell apart. Also, the cookie did not spread as recipe suggested. I then tried adding more coconut milk to the mixture but ended up adding a little too much so I then added more coconut. What did I initially do wrong? I followed the recipe exactly except I mixed my ingredients in a stand mixer instead of a food processor. Any suggestions?
# Posted By Jennifer | 3/16/13 1:26 PM
If I don't have vanilla beans what is the equivalent for vanilla extract?
# Posted By Linda H | 3/18/13 11:07 AM
Have to try this one
# Posted By Penny M | 3/18/13 12:23 PM
@jennifer- you need to put the cashews in a food processor to grind them up to the texture of sand a mixture wont work for that
# Posted By shelly | 3/24/13 7:44 AM
I just made some of these and they turned out really good. They are very crisp and just crumble perfectly into your mouth. Yum. Vanilla is very expensive, so I would like to know if I can substitute with vanilla extract.
# Posted By KT | 5/4/13 6:57 PM
I had the same problem as Jennifer.
I followed the recipe exactly, except that added 1/4 cup chocolate chips and I used vanilla extract rather than vanilla beans (By the way: 1 vanilla bean=1 teaspoon vanilla extract...But I used 1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract because 2 teaspoons seemed too much to me!). I even used a food processor, letting the cashews & coconut flakes become like sand before I added the other ingredients.
The dough tasted good, but after I baked them & let them cool, the cookies just crumbled & fell apart while trying to pick them up. Maybe it was the extra liquid from the vanilla extract? Not sure :/ My biggest regret is the waste of the ingredients...Oh well, live & learn!
# Posted By Arsi | 5/26/13 5:24 AM
I clicked on the 5 star rating to read the comments. Some how I rated this a 2. I have not made these cookies and certainly did not intent to rate them.
# Posted By vljackson | 10/23/14 11:05 PM