Gluten Free Homemade Egg Noodles Recipe photo
Gluten Free Homemade Egg Noodles Recipe

• 4 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour plus 1/2 cup for rolling out*

Beat eggs in heavy duty stand mixer, add coconut oil, water and salt. Continue mixing until coconut oil is broken up and evenly distributed. (It's not necessary to melt the coconut oil first). Add flour and continue mixing thoroughly. Dough will form a nice ball.

Put dough on a flat, thoroughly floured surface and roll out with rolling pin until it is thin, turning as needed, so flour coats both sides and dough is no longer sticky.

Cut flat dough into strips of desired width -- a pizza cutter works nice for this step. If dough sticks to the surface, use a spatula to lift.

To cook, put into salted boiling water for approximately 3 minutes. Adjust cooking time if needed.

These noodles can be frozen uncooked, then used as needed. They're great for any noodle recipe like chicken noodle soup, or with a dish like beef burgundy or stroganoff.

*You can make your own gluten free flour mix from one of our recipes here.

Recipe submitted by Jeff, Eagle, ID

It says gluten free, does that mean it is also wheat free?
# Posted By Jackie M | 8/23/13 3:14 PM
These look great and I am dying to start making my own pasta, but I can't have grain so I can't use the brown rice in the gluten free flour mixture? Do you know if anything else would work as well?
# Posted By Marianne | 8/23/13 3:39 PM
All wheat has gluten, so any gluten-free flour must be wheat free.
# Posted By Jeff | 8/28/13 6:42 PM
I made these today... they took much more flour than the
2.5 c. called for AND I would not make them again without adding xanthan gum as they were extremely fragile and many broke as I moved them ever so gently from the cutting board. I will make them again but with xanthan gum added, they were really good.
# Posted By Marie | 9/2/13 8:50 PM
Marie, if you used much more flour than called for, that could explain why they were fragile and broke. As these are egg noodles, it's the egg that holds them together. The ball of dough is really sticky and you just coat it generously with flour while rolling out to keep from sticking to the rolling pin or work surface. (By the way, the all-purpose gluten-free flour that I used in creating the recipe does have xanthan gum in it.)
# Posted By Jeff | 9/4/13 3:14 PM
Thanks Jeff... if your flour had xanthan gum in it, that would make a BIG difference. Without the xanthan gum, there is no way I could do it with less flour than I used.... I've made homemade noodles for years so I'm not new to the process. Thanks for the info :)
# Posted By Marie | 9/5/13 11:37 PM
Iconic two, followed the recipe to be exact. Mine were very crumbly even with less flower's, so I added more eggs.
When that didn't work I used my grandmother's technique of sprinkling warm water. That helped a bit.
I rolled the dough between two pieces of wax paper which seemed to help, but when I went to cut it with a pizza cutter, it crumbled.
Waiting for them to dry a bit before I even think about putting them in the water
# Posted By Kris | 3/22/14 1:41 PM