Coconut Cream Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1-1/2 lbs mixed fresh mushrooms (your choice of varieties), trimmed and sliced
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves or 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups organic vegetable or beef broth
- 1 cup homemade coconut milk
- 4 tbsp. Virgin Coconut Oil
1. In a heatproof bowl, soak mushrooms in boiling water for 30 minutes. Drain through a fine sieve, reserving liquid. Pat mushrooms dry with paper towel and chop finely. Set aside.
2. In a skillet heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) Virgin Coconut Oil over medium heat. Add fresh mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they lose their liquid. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
3. In same pan, melt remaining 3 tbsp. Virgin Coconut Oil. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened. Add reserved mushrooms, garlic, thyme, salt and peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware. Add bay leaf, broth, coconut milk and reserved mushroom soaking liquid and stir to combine.
4. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours. Discard bay leaf.
5. When ready to serve, ladle soup into individual bowls.
You don't need to have a slow cooker to make this, adjust times accordingly for stove-top prep.
Portions: 6 to 8